Sunday, August 2, 2015

Thomas Wolfe to Mike Botula, “I Told You So!”

 “LOST MUSKET DIARY” Sunday August 2, 2015
Cloudy then Sunny 86°F/30°C in Rancho Santa Margarita
Buongiorno,
Thomas Wolfe in Action
 The sad news came in an email from Sara Levine:
The Old John Elliot Aldrich House
“Mike, this was a wonderful article. I enjoyed reading about your life growing up at the Aldrich house. My fiancé and I adored that home and had this crazy, but hopeful dream that one day; we could acquire it and restore it to its original glory. Unfortunately, it would have cost a staggering amount of money. We drove up there last Sunday to attend church at Old Steeple and I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the home was demolished on Saturday, the 19th.” Sara, who lives in my old home town, had read my March blog about the house and dropped a line to let me know the outcome.  The Old Aldrich House was a familiar sight along the Main Road in Aquebogue, the little Long Island hamlet where I lived when I started grade school. My parents rented it for a few months back in 1947 right after the war, when veterans coming home from World War 2 were finding it difficult to find a place to live. It was still occupied for a number of years after we moved into Riverhead. But, for a dozen years it had just sat on the side of the road, slowly decaying, like one of a number of other abandoned 19th century houses on Long Island’s North Fork.

Mike at the Aldrich House 1947
The local legend was that it had been built by a Long Island sea captain for his young wife, so she could live in comfort during his long absences at sea. In reality, it was built in 1873 by master builder, John Elliot Aldrich, who crafted homes for the rich and famous, and was about to start construction on a summer home for railroad magnate E.H. Harriman, when he died in 1906.  So, it may be that Aldrich, the builder, crafted the mansion for a prosperous sea captain. No matter how it’s told, it’s a good story.
His legacy, then, lasted 142 years. Aldrich also built the nearby landmark Old Steeple Church and crafted many of the famous mansions that dotted 19th and early 20th century Long Island. The property that the house sat on was purchased back in the 1950s by a neighboring family, the Corwins, who ultimately decided that it would be far too expensive to restore. Now a younger member of that family plans to build his new home on the site. What are left for me are a few old family photographs, some fading memories, and a quote from the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius,
   “Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place, and this too will be swept away.”
   The nice lady from my home town, Sara Levine, happened upon my blog back in March, when I first wrote about the old Aldrich place. She and her fiancé, Stefan Temkey, passed by the location quite frequently, and, like so many of us from that area, imagined not a decaying relic from the past, but a restored, revitalized mansion put to a more contemporary use. Now, that vision will never be realized, and I can finally put closure to that part of my life. 
   Let me share some of what I wrote back in March of this year as I described my last drive along
Mike and Packy Botula 1947
Main Road in Aquebogue:
  “It’s this stretch of highway that Thomas Wolfe had in mind when he said what he did, because the Old Aldrich House, the eleven room mansion that we lived in when my folks first came back to Riverhead after World War 2 is now a derelict leftover from better times, abandoned lo, these many years and left to crumble. We pass this splendid ruin on our way down the road to the Modern Snack Bar. I am shocked by the sight of it, and a wave of sadness overwhelms me.  This is where we lived when
Packy Botula's First Steps 1947
my little brother took his first steps. I started in the first grade at Aquebogue Elementary School, just a short walk past Downs General Store and Post Office. It was built in 1873 when sailing ships still outnumbered the steam-powered craft in the waters around Long Island. The legend had it that  Captain Aldrich designed the home to provide a high vantage point for his wife to be able look out on the bay nearby and catch a glimpse of her husband’s sail.
   My folks faced some tough times during that period. Post-war housing was extremely scarce. America was being challenged finding jobs and homes for all those returning veterans and their new families. Dad would often tell how the family moved five times in eleven months right after the war. During 1946 and 1947 the only places for rent were summer vacation bungalows that weren’t designed for year round living. No insulation. No central heating or air conditioning. But somehow we did it. Mattituck, Jamesport, Aquebogue. In Jamesport we didn’t even have a fridge. The ice man would deliver ice for the icebox twice a week and Packy and I would get our baths in an old Wheeling galvanized wash tub with water heated on the stove. We stayed in each place for a few months at a time. Then, fortune smiled and the house on East Main Street became our home until our parents died in the 1960s.  When we moved from Aquebogue right after the war the old Aldrich House was already well showing its age.
   The last time I was back in Riverhead, in 2013, the old house was looking positively deplorable.
The Magic of Thomas Wolfe - Aug. 19th
It’s one of more than a dozen historic homes that have fallen into disrepair and sit, abandoned and forlorn across the landscape of Long Island’s North Fork. A recent grass roots effort to declare this stretch of the highway a designated historic area foundered in a deluge of bickering among the affected property owners.”
  Sara’s note saddened me. It was like hearing the news, long after the fact, of the passing of a childhood friend or classmate. Our family had flourished in that old house, and the distant memories from that time in our lives are happy ones. I would hope that the new family who builds their new home on that parcel of land also flourishes and I wish them happy memories as well. For me, Thomas Wolf is right, after all. You can’t go home again!
Ciao,
MikeBo
©Mike Botula 2015




No comments:

Post a Comment