Sunday, December 11, 2016

Rome Diary 1, Day 30 - Revisited!

Brushy Creek Journal
Sunday December 11, 2016
Foggy 56°F/13°C in Cedar Park, Texas 78613
Partly Cloudy 55°F/13°C in Roma, Lazio, Italia 00128
Buongiorno,
      From time to time, as I open my Facebook page to see what’s going on in the cyber-world (as opposed to what’s happening in the Real World) I am offered an opportunity to re-share one of my previous postings. I suppose it’s the thinking of Mark Zuckerberg and his band of merry cyber-geniuses that a pleasant memory, or meaningful thought once posted is worth repeating. And so it
The Coliseum Rome
was on this foggy Texas Sunday morning that I encountered one of my original
Rome Diary postings. It was done on Day 30 of my 2013 Roman adventure during a time of maximum tumult in my life. I had just spent the first night in the studio apartment that my son and daughter had found for me after my initial month in Rome camped out in their guest room. Now, you’re gonna get the chance to live like a native Roman, Pop, said my son. Laura and I are going on a cruise. Sofia, the pooch is going to Selci to stay with the folks and we’ll see you next week! I was to be alone for the first time in years in a place where I didn’t even speak the language. Panic! Denial! More panic! And, finally….. well it all worked out.


Diario di Roma, la giornata trenta! Mercoledì 11 dicembre 2013
(Rome Diary - Day 30 - Wednesday December 11, 2013)
Cloudy 56°F/10°C in Roma, Lazio, Italia
Buongiorno,
      Spent the first night in my new pad here in Roma. Very comfortable studio not too far from Mike and Laura and Laura's folks on the way to Fiumicino Airport. It's a very cozy place, and I've rented it for the month that the lady who normally lives here is visiting friends in Buenos Aires. Lots of people do that here. They'll rent out their apartments to help offset the cost of their travels. The bed is very comfy and I slept soundly on my first night. Now, I really get to learn the ropes. All on my own. Challenging. Thirty days. Wow! I've away from home for a month now. Actually, I should say away from the U.S., not away from home. That's because in my present life, I am without a home. But, that's another story. Suffice to say that rather than go sleep under a bridge I thought I'd come to Rome and visit my son and try to figure out my what I want to be when I grow up. Good move. More on that in a moment, but, first...
...Ostia Antica. I mentioned earlier (in a previous Rome Diary) that when Rome became the first city in the world to reach a million in population, it's port, Ostia was a prosperous maritime trade center, handling goods from all over the known world - Asia via the Silk Road, the Middle East, Africa, and all of Europe. There's even speculation that the Romans visited the Americas. Now the port is known as Ostia Antica (ancient Ostia) and its not near the Mediterranean any more. The shoreline moved away sometime in the 15th century. The new Ostia is a hopping coastal resort a short distance from Rome proper, which reminded me of Newport, Huntington Beach or Redondo. The original is now is ruins, but what spectacular ruins. Outside the walls on your way into Ostia Antica you walk through a settlement that resembles a large village. No hustle and bustle here. All of the residents are deceased. This is the Necropolis, Greek for City of the Dead. Today the
Necropolis - Ostia Antica
quiet is broken only by the
oohs and aahhs of tourists as they meander past the sarcophagi and family mausoleums. The sanitation conscious Romans always buried their dead outside the city walls so as not to challenge the sensitive Roman-nosed residents inside. Utter McKinley must have had an ancestor in charge, because the Necropolis is the Ancient Roman Version of Forest Lawn Memorial Park where the deceased were burned or boxed, buried or scattered. And it appeared to me that Ostia Antica's Necropolis had a zoning code. The streets are wide and well laid out and the memorial crypts line them in tidy rows, like country cottages or townhouses.. Pagan Romans founded the city with their tradition of cremation, followed by the Christians who carefully prepared their dead for resurrection. Eventually both customs survived.
Valentina at Ostia Antica
For the living residents of Ostia Antica, the city boasted an amphitheater for music and drama, Roman style baths for health and relaxation, a market place with shops and restaurants, and a bordello, of course. (There was always a bordello. After all, the Puritans weren't invented for a thousand years). There was an athletic field which hosted various sporting events. I should say that Ostia Antica's amphitheater had great acoustics. That was a hallmark of the ancient Greek and Roman cultures. Stand in the center of the stage and speak in normal tones and the audience can hear you in the cheap seats way up in back.
Shortly after we arrived at Ostia Antica, Mike and I were commandeered by Giancarlo, one of the many freelance tour guides you will see at Rome tourist attractions. Mike, who is fluent in Italian, forked over 50 euros ($67.50 or almost $34 bucks an hour) for a two hour tour that was way too fast for my poor arthritic legs and completely unintelligible, even though he promised me that he did speak a little English. He was very right on that one, he spoke very little English. Mike quickly
Mike Jr. Licensed Tour Guide
figured out that our guide was not licensed by the government like the pros hired by his company,
City Wonders Tours, which prides itself on matching native language guides for tours taken by its customers. And, of course, all the licensed guides have to undergo special training for each tour they conduct. That's one reason I implore you to take a guided tour in Rome and based on my son's experiences working for them plus my own observations on several of their tours, I heartily recommend City Wonders Tours. They're an international company. Next tour for us is the Angels and Demons tour, a City Wonders specialty. We're taking that on Friday the 13th. Yikes!
Next time, more of On the Road with MikeBo!
For now,
Ciao,
MikeBo
(Postscript: Following my initial random Facebook postings during my 2013 Roman Holiday, I returned to southern California where I became a regular blogger and set to work producing my own website. As I became more comfortable in my writing as a pastime, I set out to do what a lot of retired news geezers do, writing a book. In this case, a book about my father’s adventures as a US Navy officer during World War 2. My book, LST 920: Charlie Botula’s Long, Slow Target! was published by Amazon Books in August. I returned to Italy in 2015 and plan on going back again in the Spring of 2017. So there are more Rome Diaries yet to be written. Stay tuned!)
Arrivederci!
MikeBo
[Mike Botula is the author of LST 920: Charlie Botula’s Long, Slow Target!  (Amazon Books), regularly produces  MikeBo’s Blog and produces his web site www.mikebotula.com.

© By Mike Botula 2016








No comments:

Post a Comment