Saturday, January 24, 2015

"And the Award Goes To......"

“LOST MUSKET DIARY” Saturday January 24, 2015
Sunny and Windy 68°F/20°C in Rancho Santa Margarita
Unleaded gas $2.24 gal/ €1.99 gal
Buongiorno,
At the top of my viewing list this weekend is my favorite awards show. I’ll be watching from my rocking chair with my faithful dog Lola curled up on the futon beside me.  It’s the 21st annual Screen Actors Guild Awards - my favorite awards show because I actually get to help decide who the winners will be. I have that privilege because I belong to the entertainment union, SAG-AFTRA, which sponsors the SAG Awards.
It is, to quote its website, “The only televised awards shows to exclusively honor performers, it presents thirteen awards for acting in film and television in a fast moving two hour show which airs live on TNT and TBS. The awards focus on both individual performances as well as on the work of the entire ensemble of a drama series and comedy series, and the cast of a motion picture.” As a union member and SAG Awards voter, I could not feel more privileged if I were a member of the College of Cardinals selecting the next Pope.
As for the other awards shows, I usually watch another channel. For one thing, directing all those egos in one coherent production is worse than herding cats. Apart from Sacheen Littlefeather’s speech at the Oscars back in 1973, when she turned down the Oscar on behalf of Marlon Brando in The Godfather, there are rarely any surprises. And, I absolutely hate it when the recipient pulls out the written crib notes so that everyone from deity down to hair stylist and caterer can get credit for the golden moment. I can understand why so many of them show up hammered. And even when the “exit music” starts, it does not mean that the award winner is about to shut up. (I have actually gone to the kitchen for a fresh drink, hit the bathroom on the way out my front door and mowed the front yard, and still found them babbling on the dais when I returned to the living room). I’ll settle for reading the results in the trades the next morning. That takes me 30 seconds.
The SAG Awards is different. These winners are my former colleagues, and, every year, I am sent a collection of DVD’s and links to super secure studio website and asked to view and vote, along with several thousand other professional performers. I usually don’t share this story, partly because recent acquaintances will just chalk it up to “senior dementia,” and for those who’ve known me professionally for all those years, I don’t have to. But, I’m breaking radio silence this year to share with you an insider’s view that there is at least one awards program on television that is the “real deal.”
I’m not going to predict the final outcome. For that, I’d have to be clairvoyant. But, I would like to share some of my impressions.
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Birdman, Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything. My vote goes to – The Grand Budapest Hotel! After watching Imitation Game, Theory of Everything and Birdman, I almost passed on Budapest Hotel. After all, I had already seen Edward Norton in Birdman and he was his usual amazing self. No, I went for Budapest Hotel because I have rarely seen so many great actors under one roof having so much fun just by being great actors having so much fun. Budapest Hotel went immediately into my short collection of “cult classics,” along with The Big Lebowsky and anything by the Coen Brothers.
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: This was a toughie for me. I admire all five nominees-Steve Carell, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Keaton, and Eddie Redmayne. Gyllenhaal especially hit close to home for me, because in my days as a TV newsman I had known some real versions of the rapacious paparazzo that he portrayed in Nightcrawler. Mine came down to a choice between the portrayals of two historical figures Benedict Cumberbatch as cryptanalyst Alan During and Eddie Redmayne as physicist Steven Hawking. It was a saying from my favorite quotemeister, Winston Churchill, that finally swayed me into voting for Benedict Cumberbatch, when Churchill described Russia as, “a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma." Of course – Cumberbatch for The Imitation Game.”
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: The nominees – Jennifer Aniston, Cake; Felicity Jones, Theory of Everything; Julianne Moore, Still Alice; Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl; and Reese Witherspoon, Wild. From her first moment, Felicity Jones literally jumped off the screen at me as she consistently impressed me with her ability to create a character that so complimented that of her leading man, Eddie Redmayne. Remember, the SAG Awards are all about ensemble performances. So, my choice is – Felicity Jones for Theory of Everything.
Outstanding Performance By a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: The nominees are five of my favorite actors – Robert Duvall, The Judge; Ethan Hawke, Boyhood; Edward Norton, Birdman; Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher; J.K. Simmons, Whiplash. Now, I don’t know if Robert Duvall will be have many more winning roles, he is 83 after all, so my vote for him also represents a desire to honor him for a lifetime of acting achievement. I first saw him as the reclusive Boo Radley in 1962’s To Kill a Mockingbird.
Also, as I screened The Judge, I got a kick out of seeing SAG-AFTRA President Ken Howard as the judge who sentences the ailing and old Robert Duvall character to prison. Good to see that I’m still a member of a union comprised of working performers. I think Ken should get a SAG award. How about Best Performance by the President of SAG/AFTRA in a motion picture?
Finally, Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role. The nominees are: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood; Keira Knightly, The Imitation Game; Emma Stone, Birdman; Meryl Streep, Into the Woods; Naomi Watts, St. Vincent. As the Joan Clarke character came on screen in The Imitation Game, I watched for a while then reset the video to the opening of that scene, all the while thinking, “Is THAT Keira Knightly?!!!”  Very different than the Keira Knightly of Love, Actually, or Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Not just another pretty face in this key supporting role. Knightly gets my vote for Female Actor in a Supporting Role.
Well, by now the votes are in and counted, and we all get to see how it turns out on Sunday Night if you watch it on TNT or TBS. I’ll be following the awards with you. We can compare notes on Monday.
Ciao,

MikeBo

No comments:

Post a Comment