Friday, September 5, 2014

Found Money-Maybe!

“LOST MUSKET DIARY” Friday September 5, 2014
Mostly Sunny 81F/27C in Rancho Las Musket
Buongiorno, 
I’ve been slogging through a mountain of minutiae during the past week, and, it’s really bogged down my blogging. Essentially, nine months after my Rome adventure and my move back to Southern California, I’m still settling in and sifting through all of the belongings I have in storage and working very industriously to cull out and decide what I want to keep. Normally, I wouldn't think to burden friends with the details of my personal housekeeping, but there is one item I will pass along because others may benefit from my experience.
Some months ago, during a conversation with my cousin Nancy, she mentioned that her son-in-law did frequent internet searches on sites maintained by government agencies who were searching for people who had money owed them. It seems that money left in bank accounts that have been abandoned, or insurance benefits that intended for beneficiaries who have not been located is eventually turned over to the State Controller or Treasurer. My cousin told me that one such search of the New York State Controller’s Unclaimed Property web site had turned up my father’s name, and she suggested strongly that I look into it, which I immediately set out to do.
Nancy had given me the web site that I needed to go to- https://www.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/ - and, “Bingo!” The Yellow Brick Road lay straight ahead. New York State Controller Philip DiNapoli has a whole section of his bureaucracy whose sole job is finding people and giving away money. So far in 2014, the State of New York has connected more that $270 million dollars with people who probably didn’t know that they had it coming to them. And it’s not taxpayers’ dollars either. It’s money that people earned and put away for a rainy day either in a bank or insurance policy and then lost track of it. Or they made an investment and forgot to mention it in their will. Or they died without a will and didn’t name any heirs. There are lots of reasons why people lose track of money. So, I did my search on the Controller’s web site and guess what? My father’s name showed up in capital letters.
Charlie Botula died suddenly in 1965 at age 57. My mom, Mary, had passed on four years before. I had gone to Arizona and had just gotten married. My brother, Charles, was in college in Buffalo, New York. So, my dad was a widower, living alone but just starting into a new relationship with a longtime family friend who had also lost a spouse. Believe me when I say that there is no greater emotional body-slam for a young person than the death of a parent. My dad’s passing meant that my brother and I had experienced this with both parents, four years apart. In addition to all of this, I couldn’t just be a bereaved son through all of this, because Charlie Botula had named me as Executor of his estate which meant that I would be tasked with some very important family decisions. I’d say, as I look back over the past fifty years that I did make the right ones. And, now, after nearly half a century, I discovered that my job as his Executor is not over yet.
Mr. DiNapoli does not simply hand out money. You have to prove that you are rightfully entitled to collect it. The paperwork is very demanding and very specific. And, there’s no guarantee that you’ll convince his flinty bureaucrats with the first submission of your claim. Once upon a time I had a bulging file of documents relating to my father’s small estate, and could produce any required documentation at the drop of a hat. But, no longer. Since then, I’ve been married and divorced twice, and moved a dozen times. Most of dad’s contemporaries are also gone. His oldest son is now a 70-something and retired after his own long career, no longer the 25-year-old who’s just  adjusting to adulthood. So, where do I start in completing this unfinished task?
A successful claim of this kind requires documentation of the people involved and the connections. In my case I had to obtain the required documents to prove: that the person who left the money is really the right person and that I, as the claimant, in entitled to this unclaimed asset. This took some time to do. First, I had to obtain a certified copy of the death certificate. Then I had to provide a copy of my own birth certificate to show that he was legally my father. Then I had to validate the fact that he lived at the address connected with the asset in question. That was problematic, because some long ago clerk had mis-typed the street number. So, I had to write a letter of explanation and include an old US Navy document with our correct address back in New York. I also had to track my dad’s family and list his brothers and sisters. Thank God, I had a copy of my grandfather’s Petition for Naturalization dated 1909. It listed parents and children with names and birthdates of the whole family. I did have to explain in my cover letter that the younger Karel Botula was, in fact, the Charles Botula, Jr. listed in my claim. Now, I should point out, that these are all documents that are readily obtainable, but getting them can be a tedious and time consuming process. It took me the better part of two months to assemble all of the documentation required by the State of New York.
Finally, on September 3rd, I collated everything, put it all in a FedEx envelope and off it went to Albany, NY where it arrived the next morning. I’ll let you know how this all turns out, but, it’s been an interesting adventure for me. Along the way, I learned some new things about my dad, my grandparents and their arrival in the US back in 1903 and their lives in this new country of theirs.
If you would like to check this out for yourself, each state is holding unclaimed funds or other assets. Just Google “Unclaimed Funds” or “Unclaimed” property on your state government’s web site.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment