Friday, July 17, 2015

Buon Viaggio, MikeBo!


ROME DIARY 2 Friday July 17, 2015
Partly Cloudy 86°F/30°C in Rancho Santa Margarita
Buongiorno,
   My travel plans are beginning to look….well….ORGANIZED. Even though I haven’t made this trip in a year and a half, it’s been on my mind ever since I got back from my last trip to Rome, and as
Rome - The Forum by Night
my old pal Giotto di Bondone, the Italian painter and architect said about 700 years ago…
"Roma è la città di echi, la città delle illusioni e la città di desiderio".
 “Rome is the city of echoes, the city of illusions, and the city of desire.”  
   But, then an Italian painter and architect would have said that back around 1337. And, whaddayahknow? If he were here today, he’d look around, smile knowingly and say that it’s still true. I’m the type of traveler who starts thinking about the trip for weeks before I get on the plane. Now, that I’m at two weeks before lift-off, I’m starting to pull things together. I’m not packing yet, but I have the single suitcase that I’m checking through out of the closet and I’m gathering the ingredients for it on my dining room table. Since August is Rome’s hottest month, my wardrobe will feature cotton short-sleeve shirts comfy khaki slacks and shorts. August! What was I thinking? Well, I wanted to get back as soon as I could swing it, and that happens to be August. Maybe I can stake out a nice cool catacomb.
  One thing I have NOT done is put together an Italian travel itinerary that locks me in to a set schedule for the whole time I’m there. I just don’t roll that way. On my last trip to Rome, I had planned on a standard two week holiday. But, that two week vacation turned into an almost three month adventure. After imposing on my son and daughter-in-law for three weeks, they helped me get a place of my own for the rest of my stay. That’s when I became a true expatriate, albeit for just a little over a month. To tell the truth, I was even thinking how nice it would be to send for my dog and make a career out of being Italian. But, the harsh realities of long term visas and the fact that my HMO doesn’t operate out of California brought me right back to reality. So, the best I can hope for is a situation where I can make these extended visits.
  Based on my experiences with international travel, I usually recommend a structured tour for first time travelers. A typical Italian vacation can start in Rome and proceed from the heel up to the Swiss border and beyond: Rome, Florence, Pisa, Sienna, Cinque Terre, and Bologna, Milano and Venice and a wide assortment of other destinations. That’s the most expensive way. For other trips, I suggest a more flexible, independent plan where you book your tours or hire a guide as you go. I’ll be writing more about those “how-to’s” as I travel around Italy on this trip. For now, I just wanted warn everyone in my path that I’m coming back. Oh! Did I mention I'm flying Alitalia? That's what the Pope flies. Non-stop from LA to Roma on angels' wings.
   And what a huge difference in my attitude this time. Two years ago, I was. really feeling very incapacitated by some serious health issues, but thanks to a lot of hard work on the part of my new doctors along with my own determination to get well, I’m literally back on my feet. The biggest contributor in the upsurge in my once youthful vigor was the right shoulder joint replacement that Dr. Sodl did on me back in March. As we looked at the X-rays together during my last checkup, he whistled and chirped, “This is the best one of these that I’ve ever done.” I was pretty tickled myself, and I was quick to share my feelings with him. “Doctor, I’m thrilled to hear you say how happy YOU are with the outcome. I’m very pleased! No more pain. Lots of gain.  I’d much rather hear you say that, than OOPS!”
 
Laura, MikeBo, Michael
Mike and Laura are already talking to me about things do when I return. Laura has already added a visit to Venice to the travel plan. We can take the high-speed train from Rome and be there in just a few hours. Then there’s Paestum, an ancient city in the far south which boasts some spectacular Greek temple ruins. Of course, a traveller could spend a life time just in Rome and never see the same historical attraction twice, but I will want to visit the Galleria Borghese again. And, I want to see Michelangelo’s David. The masterpiece was on tour the last time I was there. And, since Michael is playing in a new band called No Funny Stuff, I can get out on the town and go listen to them play.  Oh, and one nice thing about having an expatriate son who is not only a musician but a professional tour guide, is that I can tag along with him at work, and take any one of an assortment of tours of Rome. Mike works for a company called City Wonders, (Subtle Plug!) which is a good name for any traveler to Europe to keep in mind. I have no set schedule. We Botula’s tend to do a lot of ad-libbing when we travel.
  I’m also thinking about a couple of European side trips. One of my old girl friends from my teen years now lives in Amsterdam. Not having seen Joan in about 50 years, and never having been in Amsterdam, I’m keen to make that trip. And, somewhere along the way…and this is a biggie! My
More Botulas: Jiri, Jeffrey, Jiri Sr.
cousin Bernie’s grandson, Jeff has just returned from the Czech Republic where he met some distant relatives; a father and son also named Botula. I’ve always wanted to visit Czechoslovakia where my grandfather came from. And this may be my chance.
  Each time I visit, I seem to want to stay longer. Maybe I could become a full time expatriate like my son, Michael. Junior grew up in Southern California, but when he went to London after high school in 1999 to work as a musician and sound engineer he met a pretty girl in Rome, and now, Laura is his wife. This trip will also help take my mind off the move my daughter and her family has just made. Her whole kit and caboodle has up and moved to TEXAS. Thank goodness for Skype, but I’d rather go back to Italy. Why Rome? Well let me share a short quote from Mary Platt Parmele’s 1908 book A Short History of Rome and Northern Italy:  “Rome did not lay the cornerstone of modern civilization. She IS its cornerstone.”
See you on the road! I’ll be blogging and posting on Facebook et al.
So, more Rome Diary 2's coming up soon!
Ciao,
MikeBo


©Mike Botula 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment