Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Dinner with the Kids! Who Says Grace?


“LOST MUSKET DIARY” March 4, 2015
Sunny and Breezy 71°F/22°C in Rancho Santa Margarita
Buongiorno,
I was sitting in front of my computer screen this morning, munching on my morning bagel - New York-style: Lox and cream cheese, capers, slice of onion and tomato along with fresh cut melon and strawberries, when it signaled me that Laura was calling from Rome on Skype. With a click of the mouse, my daughter in law came on the screen. We had already spoken once when she told me that my son would call me when he got home, since we hadn't talked in a few days. Well, he was in the kitchen making dinner, so she picked up the laptop and walked me down the hall to say hello. My number two child (in seniority) was chopping ingredients for the quiche. As we chatted, Mike set the laptop for a “two-shot,” and we talked while I continued to munch on my bagel and he went on with their dinner preps.
Buon Appetito! Laura and Mike
Welcome to my life in the Internet age. My son and his wife live in Rome – 6400 miles east of Rancho Santa Margarita and my number one child (in seniority) Dana, along with four of my grandchildren, will be moving to Texas later this year. Dana's first-born is in the Marines on Okinawa making sure that the only American that Kim Jong Un overwhelms is Dennis Rodman. This means that future family visits will be conducted entirely in Cyberspace, a more personal exercise than waiting for the postman to deliver that annual Christmas Letter. Mike and I have been doing this for the past few years, at first because it was merely a good way to avoid the hugely expensive rates for overseas phone calls. Now for us, it’s become a primary line of family communication. I’m pleased to report that it’s 71 degrees and sunny where I am, and he, in turn reports that it’s raining in Rome. The three of us visit for about 45 minutes. I feel just like the neighbor who drops by just as you’re trying to get dinner on the table and stands there chatting. I decided to let them enjoy their meal in private, but just before we signed off, our glasses were raised in a toast.
  This means of communicating has all sorts of possibilities. You can show the other party your cell phone snap shots and videos and bore them to tears with the videos of the little kid’s first dance recital or youth soccer match. But, there’s no hiding! You can’t call in sick and tell the boss you’ve contracted Ebola, when it’s obvious to anyone watching can tell that a ripping hangover is the real culprit. At this point you may be thinking, “This is not news! This is nothing but ‘an amazing grasp of the obvious!’” And, you’d be right. Telecommunicating in this day and age is a no-brainer for those of us who grew up in the computer age, but, there are a lot of people who still find placing a long distance phone call a challenge. My brother, for instance, who has a computer, but only checks his email every couple of weeks. Or, my cousin Richard, a retired school teacher who should know better, who doesn’t even own a computer, and brags about being a Luddite. A pox on both of them! Preaching to this choir is a challenge. Almost like advocating gay marriage in Arkansas or Alabama.
  Even the best of friends tend to drift apart and lose touch when great distances come between them. And how many very personal relationships are rent asunder by long distances? It’s one thing to maintain an old fashioned correspondence among distance family members and friends, or long distance conversing by telephone, but the missing ingredient is the “face-to-face” element, and that’s where Skype, or FaceTime, or any other variation on video chatting comes in. True, the warm breath in your ear or the slobbery kiss from your grandma may be missing, but at least you’re visiting face to face. Now, with the right software or app the kids can do their homework together. This is especially helpful if you are helping your grandson with his social studies, and he lives in another city.
  So, as our California to Italy dinner time chat wound down, I suggested to Mike and Laura that we all sit down to dinner together some evening in the near future. Now, we would have to take a 9 hour time difference into consideration, but it’s doable. I would invite Dana over to my house for the occasion. We would decide on a menu, and start getting the food ready. Then, we would fire up the laptops and get ready to sit down and enjoy the meal. Dana and I would set a place for my laptop, and, Mike and Laura would do the same in Rome. The stage would be set for an old fashioned, sit-down family meal together via Skype, in spite of the 64-hundred mile distance between us. OK! Now, who gets to say “grace?”
Ciao,
MikeBo


No comments:

Post a Comment